Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Traditions


One of my favorite Christmas traditions is "the Book" each family in my family gets on Christmas Eve from my mother. This started many years ago and its something I really look forward to. Last year we got "The Last Straw" by Paula McDonald. Its the story of a little family who in order to have the Christmas spirit make a bed for Baby Jesus and when an act of love/service is given a piece of straw is added to the bed. My mom challenged all the grand kids last year to do this for this years Christmas. So as our 25 days of Christmas started yesterday, we kicked it off last night for FHE. We read the story again, Daniel made the little bed, and we drew names of the person we are to secretly serve this week. We stressed to Ky and Ty that its a secret so they cant tell anyone else and cant let the person know. And since James and Ben are both a little too little to draw names, we just made them bonus points/free for all. So at bed time I was trying to give them ideas of nice things we can do. Ty was trying really hard not to tell me who he had cuz he knew its a secret, but then he asked me," um mom...pretend I had my name, how do I do nice things for myself?" Suffice it to say he and I switched names. Anyway they kids could hardly sleep they were so excited and both were anxious to start their secret acts of service this morning. James however has other plans. He thinks the bed for baby Jesus is his new little fort. Hopefully the thing will last through this activity.

7 comments:

Tina said...

Again...what a cute picture!

I love "secret" service at home.

But my favorite part of your post:

"Pretend I had my name...." Priceless!

Kristy said...

How fun! We started doing that with our little manger a few years ago and I love to see all the straw accumulate. I'm glad you mentioned the story, we're going to have to read it again for fhe. And I truly was just teasing about the CD! (kinda!) But if you make extras we would LOVE it! We didn't get last years either, are we the black sheep or what? I agree I love that picture of the boys. I wish I could get the whole group to fit in their but since it's vertical it wont I'll have to just post them all for you guys to see! Thanks for the great idea on the games! Love ya kimmus!

Cook Zoo said...

What a neat idea! I'm with Julie - I love the "pretend I had my name" comment.

Cook Zoo said...

Oops, I meant Tina, not Julie.

Brenda said...

I love your tradition! I remember doing that one year with my kids. I would love to do it again! My boys need it. Thanks for sharing! I agree with Tina, on her comment ("pretend"), that is cute!

Deb said...

What an awesome idea. We'll have to give that one a try as well.

Brandon and Amanda Gregory said...

Hey Kim! just wondering if you could email or leave a message on my blog. what your address is. I just want to send you a christmas card! THANKS!!!